Monday, September 29, 2008

Consumerism, FHE and the looming economic crisis

I am reading a fascinating book entitled, "Not Buying It, My Year Without Shopping". A couple decided to go an entire year without purchasing anything but the necessities. Now one will ask, What are the necessities? I would venture to guess that they change with each of us and on any particular day. One day I might believe I can make it on bread and honey while another I would really believe that a diet coke was in the true need category. I am enthralled with the idea nonetheless that we could rise above the consumerism that defines our life. I will read and share and who knows, we may all benefit.
We had a family home evening on prophets tonight. Paul shared President Monson's talk from Aprils' conference. Nate shared Amos 3:7. Sam told the story of Samuel the Lamanite and Mel shared a story about President McKay. Ben bore his testimony. All in all it was a good lesson. During conversation, the topic turned to the economic crisis and the fact that the Dow fell over 700 today. Melanie stated that her history teacher told the students to pay close attention to the news right now because thirty years from now their children will be asking where they were on this day. It will be interesting to see how we look back on this time in thirty years...will we have forgotten it like 1987 or will it be remembered like the great depression. All I know is that I am looking forward to conference and am so thankful that we have a prophet to guide us.

3 comments:

jeepnjean said...

What is the significance of your blogger name "rennie"? Where did it come from? What happened in 1987 that I have obviously forgotten? Jean

renniemom said...

A "rennie" is someone who is part of the Renaissance fair movement. It is what we call ourselves.
Black Monday is the name given to Monday, October 19, 1987, when stock markets around the world crashed.

Amy said...

Your FHE sounded great! It must be nice to have a good, spiritually based lesson and have all the kids participate. I'm waiting for our season. So far we have short lessons and lots of goodies! I'm glad you are blogging, hopefully you can visit mine!